It's been almost a month since I told you my plans for the dining/living room areas and guess what?
Change is coming so s-l-o-w-l-y, I'm getting scared this is not going to be ready for Christmas! :/
I know I'm a slow poke, but sometimes I even get mad at myself for taking so much time with certain projects. It's so hard to change.
In my defense, I have to admit I'm most of the time
busy doing something, I cannot keep my hands still. I worked really hard in the garden, removing the vegetable garden and creating a new flower bed. But, it's hard to see that work right now. Anyhoo, that took like two weeks of precious time I could had invested in the build-ins.
Last week I started working in these rooms, and first things first > Removing the tiny baseboards. It took me like two days because, the guys who installed the hardwood floors told us it was fine to install them without removing the baseboards. Ha, now I know it was fine for THEM!
Removing the baseboards was a pain because the floor was right there, blocking their way out. :(
Those nails that were driven at the lower part of the baseboards are kind of imposible to loosen up because of the floor.
I decided to tackle those suckers with power tools. I brought my Ryobi Multitool with a metal blade and it was easy to cut those nails at the top and some of the lower ones, when there was a bit more space between the floors and the baseboards.
And I could see progress.
But, there were some spots where those guys installed the floors so tight against the baseboards that the multitool was not even able to reach those lower nails. So, the reciprocrating saw came to the rescue.
The baseboard came out in little pieces after all the struggle, but hey, it was done!
I went thru all that trouble because I had the tools and because of savings. But, there is an easy way to fix this problem. There is this new type of baseboards that hides the little baseboard, so you don't need to remove it! I knew about it because my friend Marty did it right HERE in her bathroom. If you don't want to go thru that fight, go check her post, she has all the details about it.
Since I'm kind of replacing the baseboards on he entire first floor, that's not a cheap solution for me. I'm going to continue fighting those beasts. ;)
This was my progress last Friday - Baseboards gone, shelves removed, and the bases for the build-ins in place.
I dedicated a really good amount of time this past weekend to work on this project. But, I'm going to tell you about that in my next post.
For more DIY Home projects check these out: