This is where we left off last time. After removing the baseboards > A simple base, made out of 2 x 6's was added to support the cabinets.
This is a cheap solution and welll, I like that it's very strong! I used pocket holes to screw it into the floor, of course, leveling it.
|Kreg Rip-Cut | Ryobi Circular Saw|
For the Boxes I used a lower grade plywood, they're going to be covered on the outside, no need to invest in better materials.
I usually ask the guys at the Home Depot to rip the big sheets in two pieces for easy transport. I made all the smaller cuts at home. For those, I got this new tool, the Kreg Rip-Cut, and it made this job way easier.
No need to measure every single piece when they are the same size! It was a bit difficult to make precise cuts for the long boards, or when the blade of the saw was far away from the guide. But, overall, I really liked it.
Needles to say, this task went very fast.
|Right Angle Clamp | Spax Screws | Drill|
For attaching the top cleats I used another new to me tool: A right angle clamp. - Life changing. I LOVE it!
I used Spax screws, which I also love because there is no need to do predrills. went in like butter! :)
My Ryobi Jig saw is my go to for those outlet cutouts.
The boxes were secured together with screws driven to the front and back. Then, they were secured to the wall and to the base.
My next step was to build the face frames, but somehow I have no pics of it. The first face frame went on smoothly - cuts- pocket holes - glue - screws. But, I had trouble putting together the second frame. :/ While screwing the pieces together, the wood kept on splitting each time I drove a screw. GRRRR!
I had to go cut a new piece of wood, open the holes and drive new screws. It happened like three times! :( So, I stopped working and resumed work the following day.
Ha, it pays to take a good break. Both frames were done and I began building the countertops.
I used two pieces of plywood that I glued and added like a hundred screws to make sure they'll stay together for life! :D
|Ryobi Cordless Brad Nailer | Gorilla Glue|
I made the mistake of cutting the plywood too short. In order to solve this problem I added another 1 x 2 piece on the other long side.
And here is how they were looking Sunday evening...
When I began brainstorming decorative toe kick ideas with paper. My husband said the right side looked good. For me, it had to come down with a wider board and lowering the design.
But hey, we'll leave that for next time.
For more Home DIY ideas check these out:
*This post contains affiliate links for your convenience*