I have to tell you, I've been smiling ear to ear each time I get in this room and see the built-ins.
I love how they turned out!
I get in here and turn on a light...
Then the other...
Then the ones above the desks,
and then, I go back to the closet to see how it all looks with that light on too.
Crazy I know! :)
You can go back and check the first part of this project, adapting and installing the desks, right HERE.
The second part, building the shelves right HERE, ended with the picture below, the top part was opened and I was waiting for the lights and electrician to arrive.
And they came...
And I was overjoyed about not having to deal with running cables up the wall, or going up to the attic to connect those cables. Better yet, I didn't have to worry about not making the right connections and maybe putting the whole house at a risk of fire! Ouch, that's scary.
I think that was the best decision ever.
Those guys spent a really good amount of time in this room -
running the cables for the can lights...
The two sconces on the sides of the built-ins...
The two picture lights above the desks area...
Adding an outlet underneath the desk...
Adding another light in the center of the room..
And finally, installing the closet light.
Phfff that was a lot!
Each light runs independently and on dimmers, two of them have dual switches (at the entrance and close to the bed). I couldn't have done all that work.
I'm so very thankful for their work. Lighting is so important in the design of a space.
Once all the connections were done, it was time to finish things up.
Before bringing the front board up to close the space above the shelves, we had to install the actual fixtures, the picture lights. You can read all about how to install the picture frame lights right HERE.
This is how it looked as soon as it was nailed in place, and making sure those lights were working.
The ¼" plywood shelf bottoms were stapled in place. The crown molding was installed too.
But there's also a multitude of tasks that were done before the final shots were taken. -
Caulking all those nail holes and gaps, sanding, caulking and sanding again, paint - paint and paint, apply wax, buff, apply stain, patch those holes on the wall the guys made while running the cables, installing the baseboard around the room, clean - clean and clean and many other little things.
Well, it's lots of work but once you stand in the entrance of the room and this is what you see, you just know it was all worth it!
There are still a few things that need to be adjusted or finished. For instance, the right desktop needs more coats of stain.
As I told you before, the cabinet on the right hand side is for the laundry basket, the inside is still empty, that's one of my future projects. I found the baskets at HomeGoods.
The baseboard still needs a coat of paint before installing the quarter round.
The inside of the drawers needs to be pretty up a bit. That's another future project.
You can check the previous post for links to the lighting fixtures and hardware.
I'm now beginning to move my boy in to this room, I'll try to work on all those minor things with him installed in here. I remember in the middle of December when I was working on Christmas decor and he asked me why I wasn't working on his room. :/
The good thing is, he really likes how things are turning out! :)
The following are all the links to each of the projects done in this room so far:
*This post has Affiliate links for your convenience*