How was your weekend? Great? Good!
Mine was OK. I kept working on the closet, yeah, still there. :/
It was time to build the drawers, I kind of hate building drawers. This time was no exception.
They're not perfect but they're DONE and that's what counts.
Now I'm happy to cross those off my list.
My last post was about building a shelf right in between the studs on the wall and these flip-out bins were installed right there for my son to store toys and belts and small stuff in his closet.
But, we didn't like the white stark look they had so, they were changed.
And this is the how to of their makeover.
First, the clear fronts were taken out. They're easy to slip off.
Each bin was taken out of the box to be painted.
I wasn't sure about what color to use. So, I sprayed the color choices I had on hand on the back of three bins:
- Rust-Oleum Forged Hammered -Antique Pewter
- Rust-Oleum Hammered (I used that color in the project right HERE).
- Flat or regular black spray paint.
The black made them still look plastic-y.
The Hammered was too brown-ish - with the walls brown, it would've been too much.
The Antique Pewter color was the perfect silver color. :)
Some small thumb-tacks were also spray painted the same color - I stuck them into a piece of cardboard for the paint treatment.
Only one can of spray paint was not enough for the three sets of bins. A trip to Home Depot was necessary. But I was also thinking of going to the craft store because my first idea for the handles was to wrap them on paper that look like wood. I tried it at home but it wasn't sturdy, I was thinking of buying some kind of foam or something thicker where to glue the paper on before attaching it to the bins.
Buuuut, while at Home Depot I happened to pass thru this.
GripStrip planks. They're sturdy, FREE, and have the wooden look I was going for!
Once at home, the template for the handles was traced on the planks. Then, using a strong pair of scissors (the material is tough), they were cut out.
The final step is to insert the thumb-tacks on each side and attach the cut outs to the bins with hot glue or super glue.
I guess not for long!
The following are all the links to each of the projects done in this room: