Another post that begins with a picture of an old clock.
The subject though is quite different from my previous post.
I've been adding those final details to my son's room, getting it ready for reveal time, and boy oh' boy, those "final" details are so many!
Well, this is one of those...
Last year, when this whole project began, I found this pair or clocks...
They looked "boy-ish", shiny and kind of a good accent piece to get for my son's room.
One of them had no handles, the other only had one...
But for the price, I couldn't go wrong.
Now that I'm on decorating mode, I brought the clocks to the room, but they didn't look quite right.
They looked too new... Remember, I'm trying to give the room and old industrial vibe. So, it was time to change them.
I kind of followed this great tutorial, but of course it was adapted to what I had on hand.
The materials you'll need:
- Black chalk paint (I used Graphite, the darkest I had)
- Paint brush
- 120 grit sanding sponge and 220 grit sand paper
- Black and brown spray paint
- Dark wax (I used Annie Sloan dark wax)
The first step was to paint the whole area of the clocks with chalk paint. I used the real deal, as my inspiration stated, most of that paint has to come off.
The sanding sponge worked really well at removing most of the paint. It created some marks on the clocks face, but I didn't bother about that.
I used the fine sand paper for those hard to reach areas.
While you sand and sand you give the piece the look you want. -On the red clock I wanted big chunks of black while on the blue clock I wanted thin lines around.
The next step, after cleaning all the paint dust, was to spray paint them lightly black and brown. And that's not exactly spray painting, it's more like pressing the can's valve to get out bits of paint to create speckles on your project.
Once the specks of paint were dry, I applied dark wax all around, especially on the crevices. On the clocks face I applied a good amount of wax on the outer edge and almost nothing on the center.
Here you can see the before and final look:
Here, again on the wall with another smaller clock I already had.
Well, I think they now fit much better in the room. ;)
The sanding part was the one that took the longest, but in general, it was an easy project. You should give it a try!
For more DIY home decor ideas check these out: