Here is what's going on with this closet, but hey first, just in case you're new here let me give you a little re-cap.
This is my son's room, with the closet before and after removing the door and wall surrounding it. You can read about it right HERE.
In my last post, I shared with you the building of the shelves on the back wall.
So, I grabbed my oscillating tool and began cutting the drywall to make the space for a shelf. The tool I used the most for this entire project was my Rockwell Sonicrafter X2, it made the whole project easy to accomplish.
This is what I found after removing another part of the drywall:
Since this isn't a load bearing wall, I moved that stud out of the way. The horizontal studs were cut through the wall, you can see the openings below.
I made it that way because I didn't want to frame the shelf.
After cutting the horizontal studs, the vertical stud was removed by hitting it on the bottom part with a hammer.
The same stud was then placed in its new space and nailed to the remaining horizontal studs and at the top and bottom.
Then, it was time to build the shelf. The main material used was 1 x 4's. It was built to accommodate mobile flip-out bins I bought at The Container Store. They have grooves along all sides for stacking them together... side by side or one on top of the other.
For my project they had to be stacked vertically. Using, again, my oscillating tool, I removed the grooves on the sides for a cleaner look.
And then, the shelf was assembled with glue and brad nails.
A dry-fit before attaching the backing. ;)
For the back I used ½" MDF, which brings the whole shelf flush with the drywall once installed.
But, as usual, walls are not perfect! :/
Every time I pushed the bottom part of the shelf, the top part would stick out, and vice-versa.
In the end, the shelf was screwed to the 2x4's on each side, trying to push it the most I could inside the wall. It wasn't a perfectly flush fit with -the wall, but I'm happy with it.
After caulking all around and sanding it smooth, it looked way better.
However, the flip-out bins, that I think are great for my son to store his belts and small stuff, looked kind of sad, or as my daughter said: "too plastic-ly".
So, I gave them a little makeover. You can check the post right HERE for the flip-out bin transformation.
I'm in love with the new bins! They fit much better the boy'ish design of the closet. ;)
As you can see, I also added beadboard wallpaper on the back. Here the top of the shelf:
And the lower part of the shelf.
Stay tuned for more about this closet!
The following are all the links to each of the projects done in this room: