Oh my goodness, I'm so happy at how this small closet turned out!
Doesn't it look BIG? Well, at least compared to the before.
This is the reveal part, so, get yourself comfy because this is a long, load with pictures, post.
It all began when the door and the surrounding wall were taken off, the space immediately looked wide open.
Then, the building phase started. The shelves on the back wall were built and installed.
The wall got a beadboard wallpaper treatment. It looks simple, but cutting the plywood, driving screws all around while trying to be precise, oh, and installing the drawer slides, it was a lot of work.
With the back wall almost done, I began working on the left wall. The only space I could tap on was the area inside the wall.
A shelf was built and installed in between the studs. In order to better utilize this space, I installed flip-out bins, not before giving them a makeover, since they were plain white.
The only part I still needed to address was the right wall. That's an outside wall, the inside cannot be use, it's full of insulation.
I started to build another shelf, but much smaller than the other ones already installed.
This new shelf would be for shoe storage.
A 2 x 6 base was made, just the same as the one before.
Then, the shelf was positioned. As I mentioned, it's narrower than the ones on the back wall. It's final depth is only 12". I didn't want to close in the space.
The top part was attached to the other shelves.
For most of the face frame I used 1 x 2's. On the shoe tower I used ¾" square molding.
I added lattice on the outside to give interest and to cover the seam at the top.
Well, it was now time to build the drawers. I was postponing this job the most I could, but I couldn't delay it any longer.
I really. don't. like. to build drawers. :/ The cuts have to be precise.
The same for installing the slides, they have to be level. So many screws needed...
I spent a really good amount of time adjusting those drawers. There was the one that was cut a bit too short. Then, the others that somehow were out of level. And let me tell you... Way out of level!
It all got fixed. I went straight to build the drawer fronts.
Surprisingly, the fronts were kind of easy to position. The final touches were installing the crown molding, caulking all the nooks and crannies, sanding, and painting again the whole thing.
This is how it looks now.
I'm loving these bins, they fit so nicely here in this shelf in the wall!
A decorative wooden spool was repurposed as a hook, it's holding my son's flash light but he can also use it to hang a sweater or anything!
The trouble maker drawers turned out to be one of the features I love the most about this closet. They don't look too bad for being the first time building and installing this whole set.
Perhaps the thing I love the most about the drawers are the knobs, the wood, and the rusty gold. They were a thrifty find. I bought like 40 of these knobs for five bucks!
Two small wooden baskets offer more storage possibilities.
The corner area was divided ---> Double closet rods. The shelf in between the rods can be removed, in case we change our minds later on.
Finally, the shoe tower and all the storage space at the top. I only wish to stop seeing shoes all around the house now that he has a place to store them.
Remember, this is the first part of my son's room makeover. I still have a long way to go. I used an area rug to better style the closet. A new floor treatment for the whole room is coming. The baseboard is not nailed in place yet.
My very next project in this room is making and installing a sliding closet door. Stay tuned! Here of course is the before and after.
The following are all the links to each of the projects done in this room: