The planks were all done and ready to be installed. You can check how they were finish in my previous post right HERE.
The first step, even before bringing the planks into the room, is to clean the sub-floor. Yep.
I had to remove the carpet, the pad, the tacking strips around the room andthe many staples that were holding the carpet down.
After a good cleaning, the sub-floor got painted. I used a dark green paint remnant. As I said before, I followed a tutorial done by Addicted2Projects, they used black paint. I didn't have black and the darkest I had in my stash was this green, so that's what I used. It worked nicely.
They were laid perpendicular to the floor joists. Then, like a puzzle, the remaining pieces were brought.
For simple cuts across each plank I used a circular-saw. For other cuts, like the one around the air vent, I used a jig-saw.
All the cuts were done with the planks facing down. At first I thought I was going to have shattered edges on those cuts, but nope. They were mainly, clean cuts.
Most of the time I tried to install that raw edge (without stain and poly), against the wall.
The picture below shows the dry fitting of the planks.
It was now time to set them onto the floor.
I began at the wall with the window. The first and second line of planks were removed. After setting a level line, the real installation began.
Liquid nails adhesive was used.
A squiggly line was applied. I went with less is better, in case I have to remove them later on. ;)
After gluing each plank in its place, they were nailed down with 2" brad nails in each corner and along their sides.
My inspiration used nickles to space the planks. I tried to use nickles but they kept on getting buried in between the two planks. So, I went ahead and used quarters. The gap was a bit bigger but I'm OK with it.
Thanks to the dry-fitting, the installation went very fast. The only part that took me a long time to finish was the last board, the one at the entrance of the room.
It had to go underneath the door trim. Using an oscillating tool and a scrap piece of flooring as a guide, the trim on both sides of the door was cut.
I had a really hard time installing that board. The part alongside the wall had to be trimmed, but since it had to go underneath the door trim and I had already glued and nailed the previous board, it was almost impossible to install that last board, fitting it down the trim/jamb. >:/
I removed the door trim and nothing! Finally, gentle persuasion made the trick. ;)
Using a mallet and without gluing it, that last board was finally pushed in place!
The lesson: Glue and install that last row alongside the wall/door before installing the previous line.
Well, these are some final shots of how it looks.
Woohoo, My first floor installation is done! Overall, I'm very satisfied with how it looks and how it all went.
The price per square foot for this solution was about $1. Compared to the $3+ of the lowest price I could get them on the market, I think is huge savings. :)
The next phase in this room makeover are the shelves around the head of the bed.
The following are all the links to each of the projects done in this room: