During Spring break I took one day apart to spend it with my SIL doing something we both enjoy very much: Thriftying. We didn't find many goodies but we did have a really good time. The only two items that came home with me were a pair of linen curtains -I still need to give them a good wash- and this coffee table which cost me
twenty bucks, yeah, nice price. ;)
I'd been looking for a coffee table to replace the one we'd been using for the past couple of years. This little table had served us well, it used to be a regular table but after many years of no use, we cut the legs and Voila! We got a coffee table. :) Lately, I've been wanting a more robust table in its place.
So, when I saw this chunky legs table, I knew it was coming with me. One of its legs was very loose and that's precisely the first thing that got fixed. Well, all the legs were secured.
This is a heavy table, my guess is, every time someone pulls the table the legs are the ones to suffer, getting looser with every pull.
That's why I decided to attach a lower shelf, well, I also wanted the extra shelf to have more storage. That's like a win-win situation - no damage to the legs and storage-
The materials I needed I had them at hand :) The shelf and some little extra feet.
For the shelf I used the remnants of the underlayment sheet I bought for the Tray Organizer for the above fridge cabinet. The little feet were the extra pieces I cut from a table to create a bed in the guess room. Ha, many times I feel like a hoarder saving things like these, but hey, you never know when you're going to use them! I'm glad I saved these.
The lower shelf was cut to size but in order to make all the sides smooth, trim was added, mitering the corners.
Then, with the table upside-down the shelf was centered and the legs placement marked in order to make pre-drills for the screws.
The screws were driven into the countersunk pre-drills. Right after, the little extra feet can be added, the same way.
This is how the table looked at the end of the day.
After caulking, sanding and two coats of paint this is its new look.
My next post HERE is about the paint effect. I didn't want this post to be too long.
Cute hardware added to the more visible ends completed this makeover.
I think this table fits in the room much better than the one we had before. I love the lower shelf.
For more DIY furniture makeovers check these out: