I didn't want to finish the year without giving you an update on how things in my son's bedroom are coming along.
I've spent a really good amount of time in this room, and even though I haven't showed you much, it's almost done.
So, let's move on and talk about the project itself. ;)
The last time I showed you this room the post ended with the picture below:Two desks placed in the room side to side leaving the space in between for the bed.
You can check that first part right HERE.
The next phase in this project, was all about constructing the top shelves.
For the sides I used 1 x 12 pine that I bought long time ago to build the barn door, but then I changed my mind when I found the salvage door.
Since the shelves were kind of long, I tried to beef them up to make them sturdier. I also tried to use materials I already had.
Well, my neighbor gave me a whole ½" plywood sheet and that's what I used to top each shelf.
I decided to leave the shelves open on the underside just in case I needed to run cables for the lighting later on.
Both 'bookcases' were attached to the studs on the wall from the underside of the top shelf.
Once in place, a 1 x 12 board as long as the entire wall, 12', was placed at the top.
The opening for the can lights were done prior to bringing it up.
I added some supports to prevent the middle part from sagging over time, they were screwed to the joints in the ceiling.
It was now time to create the face frames. My sure way to create those frames was by first measuring and cutting the stiles (vertical pieces), which I then taped to the carcass, making sure they were right were they were supposed to be.
Then, I placed each of the rails (horizontal pieces), were they should go and marked the cutting point. I also marked the spots on the stiles where the rails were going to be attached to.
Wood glue and the Kreg jig are the things I used to put the frames together. I also used glue and brad nails to attach them to the carcasses.
Well, I couldn't close the top part just yet. Some more lights were going to be installed.
So, while waiting for the fixtures and the electrician to arrive, I began the painting part.
I used Annie Sloan Chalk paint - French Linen.
Painting the desks was easy, at least the frames. The drawers were a bit more complex. I closed up all the pull/knob holes since both desks had different hardware and the openings didn't match.
I decided to leave the frame of each drawer unpainted, after all, I took me a good amount of time and lots of effort to get rid of the black paint on one of the desks!
Since the desk on the right hand side had to be cut to make it match the height of the other desk, the lower drawer didn't fit. After taking the trim off that drawer, I cut it and re-attached the trim afterwards.
As a final detail, drawer door tag labels were added. The pulls were bought here.
This is how the desks look now. The trim doesn't match on both desks and they show the journey they've been through. I like that.
The look I'm going for in this room is industrial/rustic, I think they fit perfectly with this set up.
2" lattice was added to the side of the shelves, I love it, it hides so well the unevenness on the wall.
So, here is where they are.
As I said, I'm waiting for the electrical, which I hope I can show you in my next post!
The following are all the links to each of the projects done in this room so far:
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience.