And they were done! I'm so glad to check this project off my list. First, my garage is emptier and second, this week it's been cold, no need to work outside. :)
This is a photo loaded post, it looks like there were many steps involved, but not really. This is not a tutorial, it's more like an account of everything I did, including the mistakes, so hopefully you can avoid them.
In my previous post, I showed you the finds.
A set of four chairs and pedestal table.
They were in overall good condition. I also told you how while working on an antique table I went ahead an used Citristrip to strip all the pieces, the old table, the chairs and the pedestal table.
It was a BIG MISTAKE to apply the furniture stripping to these chairs and pedestal table because they didn't have lots of layers of paint or varnishes. A light sanding would've been OK, mainly because I was thinking on painting them.
This is how the chairs looked after about 30 minutes of applying the Citristip.
The gooey product had to be removed. Taking it off the table top was easy using a plastic scraper, but on the chairs and table base it was a pain doing it that way.
In the same previous post I asked you my dear readers and luckily Tracy, Donna Wilkes, and Beck from Beckwith's Treasures gave me invaluable information on how to remove just about anything from furniture pieces. I love Beck's tutorial on how to refinish a piece of furniture right HERE. It has lots of amazing information from someone who has done this kind of work not just one but many, many times!
So, I scraped off some of the stripping product, but then I have to wash off the remaining product with Denature alcohol and steel wool. -That's the product I had on hand. It worked fine, it was like giving the chairs and table a bath until all the sticky product and varnish was gone.
Afterwards, I used the palm sander with a fine grid sandpaper on the tabletop, the chairs and table base were given a light sanding by hand.
Then, it was time to apply the primer. I used Kilz 2 Latex. Here the chairs and table base with one coat.
One more coat of primer was needed.
Then, some more sanding. Well, after each application of primer and/or paint you have to sand the pieces to get rid of rough spots. I only sanded after the second application of primer -220 grid sandpaper.
Painting by hand with a brush takes time. This kind of chairs are hard to paint, so many rails, spindles and legs! :/
Well, I had a stroke of luck! My brother in law happened to stop by and offered to lend me one of his spray paint guns.
Things got even better, Mr.RLC took charge of the project. I couldn't believe it! All for the fun of using the paint sprayer. :)
He gave the chairs and base of the table two coats of Behr - Off White in a semi-gloss finish.
He also screw the rush seats back onto the chair frames not before dusting them very well. Oh, and he also installed the leg caps on all the chairs and table.
The tabletop was the last piece of the puzzle. I had this quart of Rust-Oleum Wood Stain -Driftwood finish from when I painted the floor in the guest room. So, I tried it underneath the table.
The color was similar to the one on my inspiration table.
So, on the table it was applied.
Two coats, waiting for the stain to dry in between coats, taking away excess with a rag. Once both coats were dry it looked a bit too "white-ish" for my liking.
But after applying Annie Sloan clear and dark wax, and buffing it, this is how it looks. The dark wax made a huge difference.
Inside, in the breakfast room area.
Not bad at all! Using wax as the protective coat on the tabletop makes me a bit nervous, but my kids are not that little any longer.
Using the spray paint gun was such a time saver! Not even mentioning the awesome finish it gave the chairs and base. I now know what's going to be my mister's Christmas present. ;)
This is how it looks with the kitchen in the background.
And the before and afters.
Thanks so much for all your help!
For more Home DIY ideas check these out:
*This post contains affiliate links for your convenience*