Diy - Painted Designs on Floor
Thanks so much for your comments on my last post, you made me laugh so much! I thought I was the only one going through sleepless nights but I'm certainly not alone, many of us have to endure our husband's nightly musical concerts. :)
But OK, let's continue with this snoring room makeover!
This is how the room looked after changing the color on the walls, my next step was dealing with the yucky carpet! I think 14 years of good use were enough, I don't think I couldn't have cleaned it to a decent condition.
So, I decided to get rid of it. I was hoping for a better looking sub-floor, but no, I inherited OSB, all the wood chip pieces make it look messy. :/
Once the carpet was out you're left with gripper strips all around the room. Removing them is easy with a pry bar.
Pliers are the perfect tool to remove the staples.
I didn't want to spend much money in this room makeover, this room would serve as a guinea pig for what I want to do with all the floors in the rooms upstairs. I know I want them all with hardwood floors but again, at this moment is impossible, I don't have that money.
Since this is a small room I thought of trying something cheap that look like hardwood floors, something like the plywood floors HERE, they look great! For my room I needed at least four sheets of plywood and all in all the cost would have reached to about $200. Still too much money for something I might be getting rid of in a couple years.
Not happy to spend that kind of money on those floors I took the decision of painting the sub-floor.
Using my Sonicrafter I created small grooves, trying to create the look of floor planks. I didn't go too deep.
The holes where covered with wood filler and everything was sanded pretty well.
Then I went around the house searching for paint. I had only a quart on the color I liked, so my floors only got one coat of paint, and it is not floor paint, it's just regular wall paint.
The extra grooves don't show that much, as you can see in the picture below.
It looks white-ish in this pic, but it's more like a taupe color. Anyhow, it was too plain, and the rumbled texture from the wood chips was the most noticeable thing.
I was thinking on painting some stripes, but the wood chip pattern was going to be what the eye was going to catch first even with simple stripes.
Then, while walking through my dining room, the Mohawk rug I had in there gave me the inspiration to go and paint some of the designs the rug has.
Using tracing paper, three of the designs were copied and transferred on contact paper, using an X-acto knife the designs were cut out.
It feels kind of crazy peeling off the plastic material from the paper for the first time, it tends to roll and it looks very messy. The great thing about Contact paper is, it sticks, but you can separate it without damaging it. Once that battle is over, the templates are going to look like this on the floor.
I used regular white acrylic paint to fill in the designs with a sponge brush.
Peeling off the Contact paper and placing it on a new spot was not a problem from the second time on, it didn't roll any longer, and it adhered nicely every time.
The design I had the most trouble with was the leaf. Mostly thin lines, it always required more time to set it in place. The one I liked the most was the circles flower, easy pattern to cut out and to paint.
A small brush was used to delineate all around on two of the figures.
At the end, the eye didn't turn any longer to the wood chip pattern but to the flower designs. :)
The only thing remaining was to seal it off, and for that I used Rust-Oleum Ultimate Polyurethane in a satin finish. The other container is the color I used to paint the entire floor, a small amount of white paint was added, too dark for my liking.
The polyurethane gives it a nice sheen and it feels smooth with texture, without feeling rough.
Since I used everything I had on hand, it's cost was around $10, the price for the quart of polyurethane. And I am counting on it to keep the paint in place.
Of course I don't recommend the materials I used, especially if it's for a highly used floor. In my case, we don't use this room much and this is a temporarily solution.
I'll keep you updated on how it wears.
Thanks for stopping by!
More about this room:
You can see how the room looked before right HERE.
Check the direction I want to give to this room HERE.
DIY Daybed from Box Spring HERE.
Old Lamps revamped
Office chair makeover
Old window memo board
Diy Round Mirror
Tripod Side Table
Black out curtains
Full room REVEAL