This project was done a year ago as a contributor post to Pretty Handy Girl. I'm happy to report that it served me pretty well all Summer long and for the most part of Fall. The herbs that thrived were basil, parsley and thyme. Mint and oregano did OK, but by the end of Summer they were gone. Cilantro was the worst, a couple of weeks after it was planted, it died. :(
This year the box got a new look and I only planted the three herbs I think we're going to use the most.
The box per say was built to fit on the ledge in my kitchen window which is only 5" deep, I couldn't find a long planter to fit in there. Having fresh herbs was something I really wanted to have in my kitchen
It all depends on how big or small you want your planter to be.
- I used 1 x 4 for the bottom and the two rounded end panels. Ends cut at 15° angle.
- ¼ x 6 for the front and back side panels (I had to use ¼" material because of my lack of space). Cut at desired size and both ends at a 15° angle
- Wood glue
- Sand paper / sander
- Plastic material
- Decorative paint
- Pneumatic nail gun
- Miter saw
- Hot glue gun
-Glue and nail the side panels to the the bottom panel.
-Cut the end pieces, remember that the bottom edge of those panels have to be cut at a 15° angle. The rounded top part is done using a jigsaw.
Both ends can now be attached by applying some wood glue and driving some nails.
Fill the gaps and nail holes with caulk. Sand it pretty well.
The decorative possibilities are endless, you can leave it like that, you can add a quote or stencil a design. This year I decided to paint it white and add a chalkboard.
The heavy plastic material to waterproof it was still in perfect condition. It was done when the planter was built by hot gluing it to the inside. Set your hot glue gun at a medium heat setting.
-Cut the plastic material to the inside dimensions. Add two inches to that dimension and cut it.
-Hot glue 1" strips of cardboard to the long sides of the plastic material.
-Fit the plastic material inside the planter and hot glued it in place.
-Your planter is now ready to be filled.
Just as last year, a layer of rocks was first laid to help with drainage.
Well, once filled with soil and plants, this is how it looks:
I'm crossing my fingers for the parsley roots, from last year, to sprout again.
Lately, I've been using lots of rosemary, I'm hoping for it to do well and perhaps to move it to a new container by Christmas time. ;)
Dill is another one I'm trying this year. I'm loving a baked potato recipe that includes lots of dill.
Well, maybe next year I'll be back here reporting how this batch did.
My uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Coastal Charm, A Stroll Thru Life, Savvy Southern Style, Stone Gable, French Country Cottage, Common Ground, Thrifty Decor Chick , Between Naps on the Porch, Home Stories A to Z, Uncommon, The 36th Avenue, Tatertotandjello, It all Started with Paint,