I'm so happy to partner with Rockwell tools for the completion of this project, but I'm more than happy to know that one of you can be the winner of one of their awesome tools! I'll talk to you about that in a minute. First, let's talk about this project. This was one of those two in one projects, where you're more excited about one of those said projects, but in order to accomplish it you need to first tackle the one that's not that exciting.
This is how the entrance of my bedroom used to look, this is from the inside of the room. I always wanted to install molding all around the niche around the door (kind of a boring project). Lately, with all the organization I'm trying to put into this room, I decided that a jewelry box would fit perfectly in this space too.
So, I immediately set to work... Trim + Jewelry box, of course the jewelry box was the fun project.
But, first things first... The skinny trim around the door and the baseboards were removed.
Using 1x3 and 1x6 the trim was installed around the door, top and left side of the entrance. The plan for the jewelry box was to have it installed in between the studs on the right wall, concealing it with the trim. My son's bedroom is on the other side of this wall, no need to worry about water lines, contrary to the other wall where there is a shower, a pipe must be running all along that side.
Even before I began installing the trim, I knew there was a stud right in the middle of my future jewelry box, I decided to work around it.
Just to make sure the wall was clear (besides the stud in the middle!), using the Rockwell Sonicrafter X2 one small opening was done on the Sheetrock. Everything looked OK. :)
Since I couldn't see past the other side of the stud, another hole was done to clear things up on that side too, but ho-ho, not so fast! Two pipes + a traverse piece of stud were in there. :( I was surprised the stud finder didn't signal that stud?! Perhaps the fact that there is some space between the piece of wood and the drywall made the stud finder go silent? I was so glad I didn't cut through those pipes! This is the perfect example of how nice is to work with the right tools :) Cutting the drywall with the Sonicrafter X2 was very easy, I set the speed at a comfortable slow speed and I didn't push the blade all the way through, puff... it was scary to see those pipes. I assume those are some kind of air pipes, the main air duct is like two feet away.
After finding those pipes in the wall, the jewelry box project got cancelled. I better find another wall for this.
My next move was to close those holes and continue installing the trim on that side of the wall.
The last part was to install trim all around the front face, the skinny trim taken from around the door was re-purposed here.
After caulking, sanding and giving everything three coats of paint, this is how it looks:
It's been a long ride with this bedroom makeover. I still need to paint the doors, change the hardware, replace the carpet, install the baseboard and decorate all around.
Stay tuned because my next project also brings another amazing Rockwell Tool Giveaway, just in time for Mother's day!
For more Master Bedroom projects, check these out:
Install faux wooden beams
How to trim a window
DIY Bookcases with Fireplace
Repurpose a Wooden Divider as Headboard
Christmas in the Bedroom