Diy Bookcases for Bedroom - Part 2
For the first part of the Bookcases you can click HERE. This is how they looked at the end of the day.
Thank you so much for your wonderful support and good comments on that previous post. As I always say I am NOT a professional (far from that). You, dear Karen, were comparing me to Norm Abrams! Although I love and admire his work, I am completely sure I'm a rookie compared to him! This post couldn't be more evident, hopefully you can learn from my mistakes.
Here comes the first one. I was so excited to see the carcasses there on the wall that I began closing that top part. With my husband gone for a whole month I thought about surprising him with this project done. Hmmm... It didn't happened!
As soon as I finished closing that top part on both bookcases, which included a whole lot of time trying to do perfect cuts around those beams, I discovered that I should have waited to do that after installing the face frame! That night I was so disappointed to know all that work had to be done one more time!
The face frames were put together with the Kreg Jig. Measurements are critical for this part. As soon as I finished assembling the first frame I went to put it in front of the bookcase and OOOPS!! It was 3/4" wider than the bookcase! I was running to unscrew the whole thing before the glue had set as a stone, cut the 3/4" on every horizontal piece, centered the lower one, drilled the Kreg holes once more and assembled it again.
Oh, on the second frame, the middle board broke while screwing it! I was fuming!
Well, after nailing the frame in place it was time to finish the top (again!).
Now onto my third or fourth mistake? The top part had to be included in the whole face frame, since I didn't do it that way I had to go piece by piece, not the best way, too many partitions!
The only piece I run from end to end was that white piece of trim, in fact, is a baseboard placed upside down ( My daughter was not too happy holding the other side of the board while I measured and checked and double checked for the tenth time how well my cuts around the beams were done before installing it!)
I couldn't use crown molding because it is a slanted ceiling (maybe it can be used, but I didn't dare using it!). The baseboard was placed flat on the front, I didn't bother mitering those corners because of the same issue, the slanted ceiling! The butt joints were sanded pretty well to follow the trim contour. Shoe molding at the top closed the little gap.
A small half round trim was attached to cover up the seams. On the sides, flat pieces of lattice were also added.
Then I went to work on the middle part, the chimney section. Using 2x4's and plywood a "wall" was created, this way I can hide cables on the back.
My husband's return was a couple days away, so big help was needed. Ha, that was little help, that face doesn't say happiness. He sanded the four doors I took off from my bath vanity, the ones I chose to re purpose in this project (we were still using them, but I know that "kitchen cabinet vanity" needs to get out of our bathroom someday).
And I primed and I painted, just one coat, because it was not fully ready some caulking was still missing, but I wanted the hub to see something nice.
An opening for the outlet was left, one more opening at the top was left because I installed LIGHTS! Yes I'm yelling! The opening at the top was left to work the lights, it's going to be covered later on.
This was the easiest way ever, for me to install lights that's why I'm so happy! Because First, That outlet is connected to a switch on the other side of the room. Second, The strip of LED lights (5 meter) has a sticky side, you just peel off the backing and stick it wherever you want. Third, you connect the strip of lights to the transformer and as soon as you plug that baby, you have lights!
You can click HERE for the full tutorial I followed to get this kind of lights.
I installed the strip only at the top since the other shelves are not going to be fixed ones.
Little holes allow the strip to go from one bookcase to another. Here the center section of my bookcases where I sent the lights to the top and back on the false wall until it reaches the outlet.
This was the hubs surprise. Not totally done, but almost. What he liked the most: The lights! He doesn't have to work on that :)
I already ordered the fireplace. This is what I got.
For the full reveal click HERE.
Linked party at:
Tuesday’s Treasures at My uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm, Table Top Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life, Wow us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style, Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage,Cowgirl Up at Farm House Porch, Feather Nest Friday at French Country Cottage, Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground, Before and After Party at Thrifty Decor Chick , Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch, Saturday Nite Special at Funky Junk Interiors, DIY Project Parade at DIY Show Off, Home Sweet Home at The charm of Home, Overflowing with Creativity at It's Overflowing, Hooking up with HOH, Tutorials and tips at Home Stories A to Z, Tutorial Tips and Tidbits at Stone Gable, Monday Funday at Creatively Living, Creative Friday Link Party at Jennifer Rizo, Wrap Up Party at Tatertotandjello, Diy by Design, The 36th Avenue, Tuesdays at our home at Our home away from home