The trimming of the windows has been a slowly process in this house. It only happens when I update a room. I shared a post with all the details while doing work in the master bedroom, you can find that post HERE.
Then, the dining room got its first update and of course, the double window in that room, got trimmed too. You can find that post right HERE. Then, it was the office, the kitchen, the boy room...
Now it's the turn for the living room and I'm sharing some of the details because it's a bit different from the ones I've done before.
This is how the room looked right before starting work. Oh wait, I've already removed the tiny baseboard.
Before you start working on the trim, it is best to take care of those walls. I removed all those anchors that were left in there since who knows when! Patch the holes, sand, and paint.
I've found out that it's better to paint the wall and wood before adding the trim.
|RYOBI Cordless Jig Saw|
1 x 8 primed material was cut to size. Once in place, you can mark the window location and trim the excess.
You have to trim not only the space for the window, but also the space for the two casings, plus the reveal lines.
Next step: the window sill. I usually trace the dimensions of the old window sill onto the new material. Of course, adding the dimensions of the casings and the "horns" (little pieces that extend beyond each side of the casings).
Note: for the window sill I use 1 x 5 material, but this time I couldn't find it at the big store. I used 1 x 6 and trimmed the excess.
Making sure everything was level, the window sill was nailed in place, then both side casings, and then the top casing.
All the casings are 1 x 4 material.
However, as you can see in this picture, the trim on the windows was too short compare to the trim on the doorway, and it didn't look good.
I tried a 1 x 6 piece on top of the window to make it reach the doorway trim, but nope, still too short!
So, the solution came by making a bigger header out of 1 x 4s.
A smaller glass bead trim was also added all around the rectangle, and both, windows and door were top off with a piece of 1 x 2.
I still need to caulk and paint some areas, but overall is done!
My husband is telling me to leave the little trim unpainted, he thinks it goes well with all the unpainted trim in the contiguous dining room. I kinda like it, but since I haven't painted the inside of those frames, it's gonna be more work trying to keep that little trim from being painted. I'll see.
Even though I want to go and get rid of that stair railing, that's a project that needs to wait a bit.
I'm already decorating this room for the upcoming Spring Home Tour, and I'm also working on a project in the backyard.
For more DIY projects in this room, check these out:
*Ryobi Tools were given to me to try out,
I love them so much so, they are the tools I use for my every day projects.
All stated opinions are my own.*
Affiliate links were added for your convenience.