Hi dear friends,
I was absent for a week, it seemed to me like a whole lot of time, but with the kids and the hubs at home and the snow days that kept us indoors, it was the perfect time for me to tackled this project. It was not that easy, easy, I didn't like the painting part. Anyways, I'm glad is done!
In my previous post I talked about this hutch, the things I liked and disliked about it. Well, this is how the transformation went.
I wanted to give it an open feel, so the doors were removed. The top scalloped molding was removed too. All those parts had been put together with screws and staples, they made the job of removing them fairly easy. I was afraid to find glued in parts, thankfully there were none :)
This is how the top part looked before and after removing the unwanted parts:
I knew I wanted to give it a beadboard backing, that's why some 1 x 2 supports were stapled to the back board in order to have plenty of surface to staple the beadboard in.
The top moldings were done using whatever I had on hand. It looks a lot like the trim I installed on the windows HERE. Well, most of the trim pieces are left-overs from that project. I only left a middle support on the front, there were three.
Since the top part was ready for paint, it was now time to work on the lower part. Again, the scalloped trim was removed and new molding was installed.
Then, the trickiest part came. I had no idea how to get rid of the scalloped edge at the top of the doors and the top drawer! I went looking all around the house for pieces of wood to make doors out of them. I actually found two pieces, but they were too simple and heavy. Finally and after like a day of thinking I found the perfect solution: The doors/panels from the top of the hutch were the same size (width), of the lower doors, but they were way longer. In order use them, the glass was removed, the frame was cut to size (I know for a carpenter this must be a sin but hey I needed this cheat ;) ), and they were put back together with the Kreg jig mechanism. A piece of beadboard on each door replaced the glass.
I also tried to work around the top drawer but in the end I gave up! Caulking station was the next step...
Followed by lots of paint. I used home made chalk paint, following the recipe HERE. The back beadboard panel was painted a grey-bluish custom color, the rest of the hutch was done using Valspar White Dove. Three coats were necessary. Clear wax was then applied all around.
Then, my favorite part, like my husband says: "The moving thing began" :)
Instead of the "scalloped drawer", a basket was used, is one of those baskets for under bed storage found at Michael's. It fits perfectly!
I came up with a solution for the drawer and door pulls. You can read all about it HERE.
The letter E was found at T.J. Maxx a couple of months ago, it was in the clearance section for two dollars. Can you spot the little rabbit inside the crate? It is one of my daughter's creations, she is taking a ceramics class and she was super happy I was using it here. I love it ;)
A nice oldish clock, I bought it at Pick Your Plum, it was like $10.
Well, there you have it, here is how it looks from the kitchen table.
Of course I couldn't leave you without the before and after :)
More about the styling HERE.Thanks so much for stopping by!
Linked party at:
My uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Coastal Charm, A Stroll Thru Life, Savvy Southern Style, Stone Gable, French Country Cottage, Funky Junk Interiors, Common Ground, Thrifty Decor Chick , Between Naps on the Porch, Miss Mustard Seed, Home Stories A to Z, Uncommon, Tatertotandjello, It all Started with Paint,