Thank you so much for your nice comments on the previous post about painting the chairs. I'm going to enjoy these "new chairs" for a while. I haven't gotten more paint yet, as many of you pointed out, it is highly addictive, I can't wait to finish the remaining chairs.
But this post is all about the cushion, as you can see, the old cushion didn't cut it that well with the new painted chair.
I loved the old fabric, but it was now time for change. Recovering a chair seat is one of those easy projects that give you lots of satisfaction, it kind of gives you a new chair. ;)
First things first, removing the old material, beginning with the cushion underlining material. Let me tell you, getting those staples out of there was not that easy.
I was even thinking of leaving the old fabric in place, most of those staples were really deep into the wood, but afraid that two layers of fabric didn't allow the seat to fit in the chair, made me go ahead and remove every. single. one. of them.
A very pointy knife was my solution to loosen up those staples, I dug the knife on the wood and forced the staple to show outside the wood, then with a staple remover they were completely pulled out. Sometimes they break, if that happens remove both pieces with pliers.
While removing the material I paid close attention to how those corners had been worked. Lots of pictures were taken for me to follow.
It looks pretty easy, one pleat on the top corner and then the other one coming from the bottom corner, stapling them as you work.
Many of you loved the new fabric, well, let me introduce you to it: Target -New Medallion- Shower Curtain. I love it too! Price wise it was a more reasonable alternative to cover all six chairs.
The main design was centered on the seat. Once you turn it, the stapling begins.
You can use a manual, electric or pneumatic stapler, but for this project I used my new pneumatic stapler. Once again let me remind you of how working with the proper tools makes everything go so smoothly!
I used to work with an electric stapler but most of the time the staples didn't go all the way in, other times they got tangled inside the machine, it was so frustrating. This new machine was about $35 with two sets of staples included, way more cheaper than what I paid for the electric one and it works wonders.
Perhaps you don't have an air compressor, but this new stapler and the pair of nail guns I have are at the top of my favorite tools, it would be a good investment to have these tools if you're a serious DIY'er.
OK the stapling began, front and back first, pulling the fabric nice and taut, then the sides.
When all the sides are done you can work on the corners. As I showed you previously, my best technique was: "Monkey see, monkey do" :)
The excess fabric was trimmed off and the underlining material was stapled back in place.
Every chair is different, I guess is a matter of look at what you have and try to copy-cat it the best way you can.
Have a great day!
Linked party at:
My uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Coastal Charm, A Stroll Thru Life, Savvy Southern Style, French Country Cottage, Common Ground, Thrifty Decor Chick, Between Naps on the Porch, Home Stories A to Z, Stone Gable, Tatertotandjello