Last weekend I began working on one more project for the master bedroom -some beams on the ceiling. After some consideration, and looking for options on how to install them, I ended up with two alternatives:
- Doing it the easy way, using the joists that were already in place, but not in the places I wanted, or
- Going the hard way, installing extra supports, so it would look proportional.
I decided to go for the latter one. Yes, to achieved the way that it would look the best, there was a lot more work involved.
Up there..... I had to go to the attic!
I went up there pretty happy, after all, I was just starting this project! I needed to attach nine 2x4 supports that would allow me to to suspend the ceiling beams underneath in the room.
No big deal, driving some screws and installing the beams. Well, it took me like two hours, paying attention where to step, working around insulation, not that much light, and the angles on the ceiling made things difficult.
Until I got there! Yes, right there, where things got worse! I needed to screw my last support, but I was stuck in there, I tried to drive in the screw but I was tired, at a bad angle and stuck! Actually, I couldn't move in there!
The wood there was really HARD....I simply couldn't drive the screws in. I called my DH for help, he came taking pictures and asking me to look at the camera :) but I just couldn't move! He had to help me get out of there and drive the screws in for me.
Sometimes things that look easy, like driving a screw, can get so complicated. Many times that's the case for me, especially long screws! I'm NOT that STRONG! I have weak arms. I tried to follow most of the things the "pros" recommend for driving screws, like using a self centering bit, not using a worn bit, using a clutch or lining the screw up and push hard, but that's my problem, as I guess for many of you, we don't have that man power, as simple as that!
That's why I try to always do pre-drills, it takes a little longer at the beginning but save us a lot of hassle later on.
A new tip my husband gave me (he said he read it somewhere?), is to rub your screws on a bar of soap, once you drive them into the wood they go way easier! That would've been what I needed up there in the attic, where I didn't have pre-drilled holes.
That's what we're doing while we finish installing those beams!
Linked party at:
Tuesday’s Treasures at My uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm, Table Top Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life, Wow us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style, Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage,Cowgirl Up at Farm House Porch, Feather Nest Friday at French Country Cottage, Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground, Before and After Party at Thrifty Decor Chick , Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch, Saturday Nite Special at Funky Junk Interiors, DIY Project Parade at DIY Show Off, Home Sweet Home at The charm of Home, Overflowing with Creativity at It's Overflowing, Hooking up with HOH, Tutorials and tips at Home Stories A to Z, Tutorial Tips and Tidbits at Stone Gable, Creative Friday Link Party at Jennifer Rizo, Wrap Up Party at Tatertotand jello, Diy by Design, Diana Rambles, Creatively Living,