With such a beautiful day we were having, we set to work on our front yard. I snapped a picture. From that distance it looks OK, right? Perhaps a bit boring, but up close, you can see the problems.
There were many little (and big), things to do so, I made a list.
- Remove dead plants that remained over winter.
- Remove rust stains on concrete.
- Remove rust from metal railing before painting it.
- Trim the Boxwood bushes.
- Fill up empty spaces in the garden by dividing some plants.
- Give some color by planting some annuals all around.
- Take care of paint peeling off from door trim.
Not a pretty color either.
Rusty all around.
Our weapon against all that rust???
Yes! these wire brushes that you attach to a power drill. These small ones for hard to reach places.
And this one a bit bigger that worked perfectly well on those long flat surfaces.
....and I am talking about WE! because this job of getting rid of the rust was taken by no other that Mr. G ;) Besides, he volunteered to do it (like four years ago, though) and he took responsibility of it all.
I like how well he prepared himself. Safety first. Gloves, safety goggles, and a mask are essential to protect yourself from the little particles flying away. He spent like 2 hours, including coffee brakes, to finish the job.
You can see immediate results. This is the same rail just sanded. It needs to be done this well for the rust to stop.
With his job done, it was now my turn to prime and paint. For Priming I used Rust Reformer (especially formulated to stop rust) and for painting I used a Protective Black Enamel on a Gloss finish, both products by Rust-Oleum.
After covering the surfaces that we didn't want to spray, I began using the spray primer. Notice how nice those bushes were already looking and no more dead plants at sight.
I continued applying the primer, but oh Lord! I need to invest in one of those spray adapters you attach to these cans, because at the end of the day I couldn't point at anything. My finger was so sore!
One side primed, the other one sanded. It was getting dark, but I wanted to finish priming.
Both sides primed and ready to be painted after waiting 24 hours for the primer to set.
Which side is Painted and which one is just Primed?
|You guessed it right! The right side is the one already painted!|
You can tell for how shiny it looks!
And check here! You can see the difference pretty well between each step.
I love the end result!
From far away, again, is not that big difference, but notice that during the two hours Hubby was sanding the rail I managed to:
- Clean the yard, dead plants and weeds are gone.
- Trimmed the Boxwood bushes.
- Divided two plants and planted them on the empty spots. I even managed to give the edge a pristine, sharp look. ;)
It was a lot of work, it doesn't show that much, but we are happy with a job well done.
Next weekend we're going to deal with the remaining issues. Planting some flowers will be the sure way to brighten up the space.
Until next time!