This is the last one of three posts. If you are new here, you may want to click HERE, to see the first part on how to install the supports.
The second part HERE, was all about installing that big beam at the top of the ceiling.
Today is all about the remaining beams and the reveal. We began working on the first beam near the entrance of the room, in this next picture, the one at the far right. The best candidate to do those first cuts, since its the "hidden" beam. ;)
It got measured and with the numbers on hand it was ready to be cut. But wait a minute, this is a slanted ceiling! That was one of the things I was most afraid of, when I began thinking of doing this project. I'm not that great of a mathematician, somehow transferring angles onto the wood is just not my thing.
Not this time! I used a sliding bevel to measure the angles and then I set the miter saw following that angle. As simple as that, just by looking. No numbers involved!
For that first beam I cut each piece separately, at the same length and at the corresponding angles. When it was time to put it together, the button piece was laid on top of the ¼" samples (for the reveal), and the sides were clamped on each side, one at a time, while the nails were driven. BUT it was hard to drive the nails like that, on the side. Right there in that picture below, one of the nails went the wrong way, popping out on the button of the beam. :( I got it out and continued putting together that beam.
To my surprise the ends on that beam didn't match perfectly, even though I had been careful to cut everything at the same length! It wasn't that big of a difference, but it did bother me.
Installing the beams along side the walls was kind of tricky. Walls are not perfectly straight, neither are the 2x4s. Since one side cannot be nailed to the support, we applied liquid nails to that edge and then installed the beam. It was such a super tight fit, that we had to bang it in place with a mallet, protecting the beam with an extra piece of wood. Then it was nailed to the 2x4 support on the open side. Just like that, it stayed in place, but to be extra secure, some nails were driven from the button of the beam, the reveal lip, onto the studs on the wall.
For the remaining beams I changed how things were done. I put them together before cutting them. The nails were driven from the top (placing a tempory piece of wood inside the beam as support), like I did with that big beam, it was easier.
After assembling them, it was time to cut them.
That first beam was cut piece by piece because I thought that my cheap saw was not big enough to cut all the way through if the beam was assembled, but with the bad experience I had, it was time to try something different.
I put together some spare pieces of wood and cut them. It didn't go all the way through but it wasn't that bad either! There was a tiny bit left uncut, with a hand saw I finished the cut. That's what I did with all the remaining beams.
It is very important to pay close attention to the way the angle goes. I had to flip the beam to make the second cut because with my saw I can only cut those angles in one direction.
Those beams in the center of the room were the easiest! They are not heavy, you drive the nails on each side and LISTO! No problem!
We continued with the third and then the final beam until it was all done!
Really? Well no, not completely done. It was time for caulking, the magic of caulking! I love how good wood projects look after you caulk them. Look at the difference!
Huh, remember that nail that went wrong? That's the hole it created while pulling it out. After covering all those nail holes a good sanding is a must.
Once again with my painting uniform to cover all those marks.
The whole ceiling got a new coat. The same stain-blocking paint was applied.
Now it was painting time for the beams. Since I don't have a steady hand it was easier for me to tape them all around.
One before pic to see the difference.
Oh my! I'm loving them!
Even though the room is still a mess, I feel so giddy each time I get this picture of the beams when I get to the top of the steps.
They make a big difference!
Linked party at:
My uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Savvy Southern Style, Thrifty Decor Chick, Between Naps on the Porch,